5.25.2010

When did summer get here?

Last week was rain, rain, rain. Sunday morning the clouds parted and summer made its entrance. With temps in the 90s this week, it seems like the Ohio spring took an early exit. It actually works well for me - I like it warm, and it feels oh so toasty outside. And so far, it isn't that muggy heavy heat - which bodes well for training.

Training updates - I probably haven't been as active as I should be. I am in the second week of Jillian's 30 day Shred - and it is definitely working. I am down 4 pounds, and I haven't managed to lose a single pound in over two years of running. Now you tell me that all I had to do was a 20 minute workout video every day? Geez.

SWIM: Today I bought a 7 visit pass to a swimming pool about a 10 minute walk from my office (I had no idea pool access would be so costly). Couple those 7 weekday visits with *hopeful* weekend swim visits at Denison or the local lake, and I should be covered for the summer. Honestly, I just want to get through the swims without coming in dead last or drowning. If I end up falling in love with triathlons, then we will worry about picking up speed. I will then invest in masters swim classes, etc. Until then though, the goal is "Finish and don't die." Looks like I may have managed to snag the use of a wetsuit over the summer too, which will be awesome.

BIKE: I managed to get out for a (one) bike ride last week (about 7 miles?) and it seriously, SERIOUSLY kicked my ass. My legs just don't know what the hell is going on. Couple that with me still learning how to use the gears, and it means very tired legs. I know I will be able to get through the upcoming 7 mile race leg of the tri, but it's going to be slow and possibly painful. I have yet to figure out the whole "spinning" thing, so hills are nearly impossible. I've read all sorts of articles and tried to put them into practice, but OUCH they are tough. Nothing like having to walk your bike up a hill while three 10 year old kids go speeding past you. Suck it, young'uns.

RUN: ::kicks feet and looks up nervously:: I haven't been on a run in almost two weeks? I have to look back at my posts. Maybe it's been a week and a half? I have fallen into the trap of "the longest you will have to run this summer for any race is a 5K. don't worry about it." That is totally going to bite me in the ass. I need to be doing 2-3 5 mile runs or so a week. ugh, I need to just put this all on the calendar. I promise PROMISE to get more commited to a true training schedule after the June 5 race.

In summary, I have less than 2 weeks until my first triathlon. Here's hoping I can pull it off. If it goes well, I found two other sprint length races I would like to do this summer. If I hate it, I am using my pool passes to get a tan.

No comments: