11.07.2006

Cuba in Africa

So, this evening I decided to venture out for dinner rather than eating the same hotel food I have eaten every stay here since 2002. I have heared some rave reviews of the "Buena Vista Social Cafe", so I decided to make the trek. After calling a taxi and a 3 minute drive to the restaurant, I found out I could have walked over to some of the best food I have ever had in Cape Town.

This is the view from my seat. Of course, there is a mojito (what else do you drink at a Cuban bar???) and some water, with excellent candlelight to read the CSF Monograph I have not yet read (the meeting I am actually here to administrate).

I had some stuffed jalapenos to start (filled with feta and cream cheese - so good), then a vegetarian Cuban burrito - stuffed with carrots, cauliflower, bell pepper, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, and topped with cheese. It was amazingly good. In fact, I am now nearly in a food coma. I think I may visit there again!!! And in the background, the Buena Vista Social Club played nonstop. Since I own a decent chunk of their CDs, I was able to hum along with nearly every tune. Heavenly.

VIVA CUBA! (In Africa!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome!