2.17.2013

Now - what I have REALLY been up to

First off, thanks so much for all the well wishes!  It feels great to finally have this news out in the open - I felt like I was walking around with a huge secret (well, I guess I was!).  Lots of people asking me out on a Friday night to have drinks - me politely declining.  Lots of people asking me to sign up for races - me politely declining.  People asking me to go on runs/bikes/swims - me politely declining.

I've been declining all sorts of invites because I have just been so damn tired.  For nearly the entire trimester, each morning I woke up I felt like a train had run over me the night before.  Absolute and pure exhaustion.  I always thought that if I went through this experience, I would be one of those pregger ladies that kept running, riding, swimming - all of it for as long as I could.  Let me tell you - growing a person is frickin HARD work.  I haven't peeled my butt off the couch a whole hell of a lot in the past 2 months.

From about September through early December, I was running at least three days a week - 12 to 15 miles a week.  Nothing crazy, but I wasn't training for anything - just running for fun, mental health and as a social outlet. Want to venture how many miles I have clocked since about December 15?  Probably 15-20 miles total.  I just don't have the energy in me to do it. Slowly, the exhaustion is leaving and is being replaced by worry, doubt and fear - ha.  Okay, maybe not that bad, but I haven't run in a while and my health is suffering for it.  I miss the endorphins, nature, my running buddies, my strong legs and thin waist line.  BUT.  Don't get me wrong - I am THRILLED about our new family addition on the way.

With that being said, I'm going to try to get back on here (the blog) and start holding myself accountable to getting a bit more active.  Maintaining a decent exercise schedule will keep me feeling good in all sorts of ways - and I need to back to it in some form.  Amazingly enough, five of my closest friends are currently pregnant, and everyone has their own way of getting in some physical activity.  From all the bloggers I have seen in the baby camp, too, I know there's lots of advice out there.  I just need to start following it!

With all that being said, I have done ONE race so far this season.  I'll still be serving as the co-captain of teamroll: this year, and I'll need to fulfill my team commitments in ways other than racing.  I wanted to get in at least one though - just because I love it so much.  I chose to do the OSU Indoor Triathlon about three weeks ago.

Race report:
10 minute swim - I haven't been in the pool much at all since November. My goal was to get in 400 meters in ten minutes, and I got 420. Works for me.

20 minute stationary bike - This is always a crap shoot - between playing with cadence and resistance, finding the sweet spot can be tough.  I managed to clock 6.55 miles in 20 minutes, so I averaged somewhere between 18-19mph.  Also, works for me.

15 minute run - oh goodness.  Here's where it all went to crap.  The run was on a small indoor track at OSU's gym.  We were seeded in waves based on swim times and 5K times.  Every woman in my wave must have lied about their run times.  Kidding - kind of.  Let's just say I got my ass handed to me big time. We headed out and I managed to stay in the front pack for approximately 1/4 lap.  I was then lapped 8 times by the guy that was in first.  In 15 minutes, I averaged a 10:18 mile.  10:18????  That's what I was running a year and a half ago!  GAH! My heart rate jumped immediately, and I just couldn't keep up.   I moved to the outside lane and just jogged it out.  Yowza.  That experience convinced me to table the pipe dream I had of possibly doing a few early season women's short distance races.

At the OSU Indoor Tri with two teamroll ladies - I'm on the far right.
The tri top was already feeling a bit snug!

I still may change my mind and go out and just "participate" in some of the women's only races early in the season - we are talking a 250 yard swim, 7 mile bike and 2 mile run.  I'll be about 5.5 months at the first race of the season, so if I decide to play along it will be very last minute. i figure I'll go out there and walk/hobble and cheer everyone on.  If I don't "race," I will be the designated cow bell ringer for teamroll all season!

Ok, all - that's it for now.  I'll be back soon with some sort of activity report - promise!!!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was couch bound for much of the first trimester! Here's to getting some of our energy back!!