1.31.2011

Thrive (kind of)

I finally made my way through Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet. I buy it. Totally and absolutely. His logic makes sense, and I even like the little bits of "do things that make you happy." I swallowed the pill, and I am down with the whole thing.

Problem is, I like to sleep. I'm not going to get up even 30 minutes earlier to make strange vegan pancakes. I just may try to make them some weekend, but the idea of doing the full 12 week diet plan seems like too much work to me. (WOW I sound lazy.)

But here is what I AM going to do. I am going to integrate a lot of the philosophy. I'm going to start using his food pyramid on how I structure my diet. (you'll need to read the book to get all the deets). Smoothies will become my friend - even the strange ones with dates, romaine lettuce and yerba mate. I'll give it a go.

A big part of this is that with my training now geared up (Hal Higdon Half Intermediate + a 12 week Olympic tri plan), I workout six days a week. I have never done that before - at least not on a regular basis. While I am doing fine so far, I need to be careful. Being vegetarian, I need to make sure I'm getting the protein and carbs I need when I need them. Beer and tater tots will not successfully get me through training.

This weekend was a perfect example. Friday was my rest day, so I rested. (I'm good at that day.) Saturday called for a 3 mile run. I woke up and did my 5K loop from home only to get home, change and then go to an hour+ kickboxing class with a friend. So I did that. The rest of the day I was wiped. Absolutely wiped. Sunday I went to run club. My 5 mile jaunt was as close to torture as I have ever felt. Sure the trails were hilly and completely snow/ice covered. But 12 minute miles by the end? Come on. I've made too much progress to feel THAT badly on a relatively short distance run.

Therefore, nutrition and hydration are taking a front seat. I have to be more conscious, or I won't be able to perform how I want. Week 2 of training starts today. And so will my better eating habits. I'm still going to fuel with Miller Lite though - Brendan must have accidentally left that out of his book.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I've read "Thrive" and really liked it too. But, I do think some of his recipes are a little far fetched for the average person to do...especially when I have two boys (3 and 5). But, I've made several of his salad dressings that are awesome. And, his smoothies are yummy too!
I like how you're taking the info. and fitting it into your lifestyle! To me, that's key!

Christi said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. It meant alot to me.

I can't wait to read all about your tri-related adventures!

M said...

You're very welcome, Christi! I really enjoy reading your blog and glad you have discovered mine :-)