9.27.2010

Underachiever?


This weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to spend time with two wonderful friends who have served as inspirations, role models and mentors to me. I met them both through a leadership development program that I worked on between Duke and the University of Cape Town. Both were fellows in the program, different years. These two women both come from immigrant families and have totally kicked ass career wise in the world. One works in the Obama administration, one has her own business. They are both amazingly vibrant and beautiful and smart and amazing. I am blessed to call them friends, but DAMN I feel like an underachiever.

I'm 32 years old. I have friends who've worked (or currently work) in the White House, published books (fiction AND nonfiction), became doctors/lawyers/professors, lived overseas for years, became mothers, etc. I haven't done ANY of that. Yeah, I finished a masters degree. Yeah, I've traveled a bit. But I haven't reached the level of success I was hoping to quite yet.

Folks say you should surround yourself with people smarter than you. I think that's what I'm doing. After this weekend, I sit here at the desk of the job I will soon be leaving. I am embarking on a new endeavor, and I plan on going into it with full on gusto. It's time to start pushing the envelope a bit. I know what it feels like to push myself into uncomfortable territory - triathlons have taught me a lot. I can sustain pain and uncomfortableness a lot more than I thought I could. I can face the unknown and succeed. I think it is time to take some of the lessons learned in training and races and put them to use in my work life. We've got one chance at this roller coaster of life, and I don't think I've pushed enough yet.

I can make things happen. You can make things happen. We just have to DO THEM. I'm going to start doing more......I have to.

1 comment:

Connie Vaughn said...

You don't give yourself enough credit!! Underachiever--I don't think so!! You may not have done everything you want to do yet but it will happen!!