6.03.2009

Ridiculous Addictions: The Tudors


I can't help it. I'm addicted. Mike and I flew through Season One of Showtime's "The Tudors" in a couple of days. Last night we watched season 2, disk 1 in one sitting. I can't wait to start on disk 2. I've never been a history nut of the period, etc, so honestly I am learning a lot along the way. From friends who do know the era pretty well, they've commented that while there are of course a few liberties in the plot, overall the main story line is pretty accurate. I love the costumes, the political intrigue, and the ridiculous hotness of every character (I doubt everyone was actually so pretty in real life).

The main problem I have with the show is that it's really tough to know what kind of timeline it's moving on. Something that on screen looks to happen over a period of days may actually, in real life, may have taken place over several months or even years. But luckily the show has intrigued me enough to go read about all the people afterwards. I've been reading stuff on the interwebs to keep me up to speed and assist me in actually learning something reather than wasting my time watching TV.

The great thing is, too, that you don't have to wait to see what happens with the story line. We already know :-) It's just fun to see it all acted out by hot people in beautiful costumes!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a huge fan of the Tudors, but then again, I was a history major focusing in on Tudor-Stewart England. I agree with all of your observations, esp. the time line--you don't get a real sense of how many years are passing. Other than that, the history is pretty spot on and the filming is beautiful! I just finished season 3.

Ellobie said...

This is exactly how I felt about watching Milk and Frost/Nixon during Oscar season this winter. It's always nice when entertainment has the bonus of learning something.