7.25.2008

An Anniversary today.....



This time last year, I worked a half day at work. I then went with Cookie and Lauren to Projekt Revolution in Raleigh. I learned I do not like Linkin Park....at all. But, the cool part of the story is that before the concert, I received a call while we were tailgating in the parking lot.



That call was one that brought me where I am today.

After working with Ambassador Joseph for six + years, I started looking for a new job. I loved the travel, I loved my bosses, but I just needed a new challenge. It was time to leave South Africa behind. I was in a new phase of my life, and I needed new scenery and new experiences. Therefore, I embarked on the very frustrating and scary process of searching for a new job. I didn't want just any new job - I have my standards. I wanted to work for a company that I believed in - one that was guided by mission and not dollars. I am the forever nonprofit worker, but I also didn't want to be stuck making $28K/year.

I had applied and interviewed for jobs at Self-Help in years prior. Marketing jobs, research jobs, I was even offered one, but the pay was so low I had to say no. But in 2007, another marketing job opened up, and I gave it a shot. After a great phone interview, the woman on the other end of the line said, "You know, I think you are just too over qualified for this job. But we do have another position open that may fit you better." I agreed to let my resume be turned over to someone else, and I was asked in for an interview for a "Lending Project Manager" position. Honestly, I didn't really understand what they were looking for at all. But, I liked the people I met, and the prospect sounded promising. It went well, but then I hear nothing. Zilch. Zero. For about a month and a half.

Then, out of the blue, I get a call from Brian (who is now my boss) asking me if I would be interested in coming in to meet the rest of the staff. I was surprised and said sure. So, I came into the office, met with the legal counsel, the closing team, the marketing director and a loan officer. Then, I had to take a financial analysis test (which to this day I have no idea how I performed). It was a good day, but after my last experience, I figured it would be a while before I heard anything.

That brings us back to Projekt Revolution. As Cookie, Lauren and I downed beers in the parking lot, my phone rang. It was Brian - with a job offer and the salary I had requested. It was too good to be true. It was then on the phone that I said, "I accept the offer." It was very exciting, and it still is. It was terribly difficult to say goodbye to Ambassador Joseph and Lance, but they are both still in my life. They were proud of me and sad to see me go at the same time - but they were beyond supportive.

I didn't start the job at Self-Help until mid September, but we will talk more about that when the anniversary hits. I just wanted to celebrate today, as it put me on an exciting new career path (it's not just a job anymore - I have a CAREER) that I never would have expected. Feel good finance - it's out there, and I love it!!!!!

No comments: