1.08.2008

Restaurant Review: Ninth Street Bakery, Durham


http://www.ninthstbakery.com/
136 East Chapel Hill St.
Durham, NC 27701
(919) 286-0303

This place is a gem in downtown Durham. Since I work in downtown, I often go out for lunch on the days when I don't want to face my leftover stirfry in the fridge, or just to get out of the office. While the number of lunch places is expanding, I only have a couple standbys. One of those two is the Ninth Street Bakery. Most folks have never seen the place - it's tricky to find. In downtown, where Main and East Chapel Hill split heading into downtown, the bakery is in the back of what appears to be a loading dock (which it is - for the bakery). You will see a sign hanging above that door, and that's where you go in. During the day it usually isn't too hard to find some on street parking next to the bakery.

In the mornings, it is a hotspot for downtown workers to grab a cup of coffee and a fresh baked scone, croissant or other pastry. At lunch time, custom made sandwiches, pizza, and some killer black bean chili are on the menu. The breads are all organic. And the smell in there is just fantastic - who doesn't love the smell of freshly baked bread?? Go on certain days, and "day old" bread is available for a ridiculous price.

My favorites? The Vegan sandwich (not on the menu HERE but posted in store - hummus, romaine, cucumber, red pepper and tomato) and the totally non vegan Egg Salad Sandwich. All sandwiches come with your choice of Sun Chips, potato chips or carrots. When it's chilly out, nothing beats the black bean chili. I haven't yet been able to sample the gazpacho, but I look forward to when that's in season. If you are feeling saucy, grab one of their giant cookies for dessert (I prefer to go get a cookie at 3pm when I need a last push to make it through the work day!).

One note: the bakery prefers you pay in cash, for they are evidently getting screwed by their credit card company in how much they have to pay per transaction. They still take cards, but you may get a mini lecture. It's worth it though - either pulling out the cash or getting the lecture. This little deli is fresh homegrown food that makes you full and happy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"who doesn't love the smell of freshly baked bread??"

Uh, that would be me, although I realize I'm a freak in that regard. It's too yeasty, or something, for me!

The restaurant sounds delish, though!

Darrah

Anonymous said...

YUM! Thanks for the recommendation, we visited and fell in love!

M said...

Fantastic! I am so glad you enjoyed it!