9.19.2007

I'm back! (for a minute anyway)

SO sorry I haven’t blogged in a while. The first official day at my new job was this past Monday, September 17th. Although I have been working rather normal hours, learning all this stuff is quite exhausting. I have been successfully orientated to Self-Help (or as Mike says, I “drank the Kool-Aid.”) During orientation, there was a huge emphasis on the values of the organization, which are:

1) Mission* Before Self

2) Achieve Results, Deflect Credit

3) Celebrate Our Diverse Perspectives

4) Embrace and Promote Change

5) Financial Sustainability Gives Us Strength

* The mission of Self-Help is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for people of color; women; rural residents and low-wealth families and communities.

I can 100% commit to those values and that mission. I have found a great organization to work for. As for work though, right now I am just trying to learn the language. I am doing a lot of manual reading and watching other people do stuff. Tomorrow and Friday, I will be attending the NC Charter Schools Conference, and next week I will probably do more reading and more watching other people. We are supposed to close a couple loans next week, so I am hoping I will get to play an active role in the few coming up after those. Next Friday is also moving day on our floor – renovations are just being completed, and we all move into our correct offices next week. I am looking forward to having my own space rather than squatting in someone else’s office (although I will miss this great view of downtown Durham from my current office).

I think Mike and I are off to Charlotte this weekend for a housewarming party, and next weekend is campout for Duke basketball tickets. The week after that is Dad’s visit and BEERFEST! Yay!

Okay, lunch is over and I have a 1pm meeting. Will try to write more soon!

No comments: