8.14.2007

A new era

I can't believe I am actually typing this. After five years and 10 months, I will be turning in my resignation at Duke later this week. I have been our center's program manager since the doors opened at the University. As hard as it is to do so, it is time to move on. I do not want to do administrative work as a career, so I need to take a step in another direction. And that direction is Self-Help.


I received the official offer letter today - asking me to join the Charter School Lending Team as a Program Manager. Yeah, I don't know either! This will be my first official "career change." It is a whole new field for me, but I know I can figure it out. I will be learning community development, lending and finance. Who would have ever thought I would be here? Not me! But I think this is an excellent next step in finding my place in trying to make communities stronger. How better to learn about community development than to give people money??

I am nervous - I am leaving a safety zone that has been fantastic. I have worked with some of the most amazing people in the world . Ambassador Joseph has been phenomenal. Lance has been fantastic. I will miss traveling to South Africa. I will miss my friends I work with at the University. There is a lot I will miss.

But I am looking forward to a new change. This is going to be great folks. I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I forgot the "From Marissa" part. :)