7.30.2007

Saying Goodbye

THEN: Fall 2004 - The start of our MALS career (Jeremy, me, Pat and Lauren)


NOW: July 2007 - Jeremy, Pat, Lauren and me

Saying goodbye is a hard thing to do - I woke up this morning in a funk. I figured it was from the long weekend I had - lots of social events and several late nights, but the more I thought about it, it wasn't just that. One of my best friends leaves town this week. It's definitely THE influence in my "case of the Mondays."

I met Jeremy back in the late summer of 2004. We were both admitted to the MALS Program at Duke. Along with Lauren and Pat, who were also starting in the same class, the four of us had a great time at orientation, then writing workshops, classes, baseball games, and many - many late nights. We were the four MALSkateers.

Fast forward a bit, and Pat took a hiatus from MALS due to his duties in the military. Lauren and Jeremy started dating, and I got a divorce. Through it all though, these guys were always here for me - and I tried to be around for all of them, too! I really don't know how I would have made it through were it not for the support of my MALSkateers.

And here we are today, July 30, 2007. Pat is working on a PhD at UNC (we try not to fault him too much); Lauren graduated from MALS this past May and is working for the FOCUS program at Duke (and is still aspiring to do her own PhD in the near future); I'm still working on my MALS degree but will graduate in 2008; and Jeremy leaves us this Wednesday for the University of Texas at Austin - if all goes well, he will have a PhD in Philosophy before 2014.

I'm excited for Jeremy and all of the new adventures he has before him. He will make a great professor, and through the experiences he will have at Texas, I know he will be well equipped to take on the better philosophical minds in the world, rather than debating with me about the possibility of eating meat if the animal dies right in front of me due to natural causes.

Jeremy has been a great friend to me - he has listed to me whine, cry, argue, and jabber on incessantly when I have had too much wine. During the very lonely days, he was always there to make me laugh, share a movie and pizza and show me I had true friends - I was not alone.

Our friendship isn't over - it will just be different now. According to Google Maps, he will be about 1,350 miles away from Durham. Texas is still important to me - my family is there! So, I have multiple reasons to return to the Lone Star State now.

At any rate - Jeremy, you will be missed. Your personality, cutting wit and huge package (supposedly anyway) have made Durham a better place for all. You better come back now, ya hear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.....