4.02.2007

Almost time to head home

The trip is almost over. We wrap up our second Retreat tomorrow night, and I get on a plane Wednesday evening to leave Cape Town. That puts me back in Durham by Thursday morning if I make all my flights.

The weekend was good. I had a minor stress breakdown on Friday evening, for several things went wrong for our closing dinner - and it just got to be too much. I had a good cry in the bathroom, and all is well. The one downside is that it knocked me down enough to where I was unable to muster the energy to meet the fellows out at the Green Dolphin that night. I took a shower and thought - I will just lay my head down for a minute. Bad idea - I woke up the next morning.

Saturday, I had a restful morning, wandered the waterfront until about lunch time, took a nap, then joined some fellows out at the Radisson hotel for drinks. After that, Melody and I headed out to the Jazz Fest with a few other fellows. It was good, although in a way disappointing. i wanted to see Hip Hop Pantsula, but President Mbeki happened to be in the venue right next to where Pantsula was performing, so security closed off the stairs. Turns out, Ambassador Joseph and his wife were with the President! I expressed my displeasure at the turn of events to him the next day. ha! Beyond that hiccup, I got to spend time with long time friend Elelwani - she's a momma now and looks absolutely stunning as always. It was our third jazz fest together. I also got to see Itumilange, which was great. Melody and I left the festival about midnight and headed to Manenberg's for a night cap. i ran into several old friends there as well, so it was a good night overall.


Itu, me and Elelwani


Sunday was back to work for our reunion. It has actually been great so far - although a bit emotional due to some heavy topics we have been discussing. it has also provided great insight to the class I am taking in trauma. In fact, I will be writing about some of my experiences for my class.

My cold seems to have returned as well, so I stayed in last night and tonight. Schoolwork is the name of the game. So, I may not be on here again until I am home, so I will post more adventures once i am settled back in Durham. Sorry I didn't post more often or have more exciting stories, but I hope you enjoyed my ramblings anyway.

Here's to Cape Town.....

No comments: