8.02.2010

The Hocking Hills

WOW.

I could actually end the blog post there. WOW really sums it up. The Hocking Hills of Ohio are positively absolutely gorgeous. I don't have access to my photos right now, but I will be sure to post some too. Overall just beautiful country.

Hubby and I made it out to our little cabin around 8pm on Friday. We headed into Logan to grab some dinner. As Logan seems to have a lack of vegetarian dining options, but tons of pizza joints - we opted for evidently what the locals love to eat...pizza. To carry on a Durham tradition, we hit Little Sleazers (aka "Little Caesars") and got one pepperoni, one cheese and some breadsticks. Yummo.

We headed back to the cabin, ate some pizza, drank some beers, and watched a movie (a continuation of Mike's current David Mamet kick). We zonked out and slept in. Saturday we went hiking in the Hocking Hills State Park. BEAUTIFUL. We took the Old Man Cave route down to the lower falls and ended up hiking three miles out to Cedar Falls. A wonderful and low stress hike.

Once we enjoyed snapping some photos of Cedar Falls and ingesting a cliff bar, we headed back. The skies opened up for a nice summer rain, and it felt and looked spectacular. By the time we made it back to the visitor's center, we had cleared about 6 miles. A nice hike. back to the cabin for a quick snooze, then it was drinkin time. A bottle of wine, some beers, some grillin, some cards, some hot tub. Just a great day and evening.

Sunday we enjoyed the awesomeness that is Hocking Hills Canopy Tours. Really fantastic. Evan and Luke were our guides, and they did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and safe. The entire experience lasted about 2.5 hours and was well worth the cost and the time. I was actually really sad when the whole thing was over. I look forward to trying it again at a different time of the year - either the fall or early spring.

Because I loved the area so much, I think I am going to close up this summer's racing season with something other than a triathlon. The Hocking Hills Indian Run takes place on September 18. You can choose to do the 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K or 60K trail run. As I have never done a trail run, I think I will do a manageable distance - 10K to start with. You get to start whenever you want between 9 and 11am. They bus you out to the start, then you GO! I think it will be a beautiful and fun way to see new parts of the area in what should be a beautiful time of the year.

So, that's it folks - a great anniversary weekend and the discovery of an absolutely beautiful place. That means I am back on the training wagon, too - the Emerald Half of a Half and the Hocking Hills 10K. Time to strap on my running shoes :-)

I'll keep you posted - and will post pics soon!!!!

1 comment:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

WHat a great weekend

And thanks for sharing about the zipline adventure, I did not know that was down there, now I have to do it.