2.25.2009

Running Log: Coach Bubba and Sore Legs

Even with Mike's injury now in our life, the training must go on. The North Carolina Half Marathon is sneaking up in a matter of about 10.5 weeks, and there is a lot of work that still needs to be done. This past Saturday, rather than doing the scheduled long run of 5 miles, Lauren and I ran in the Coach Bubba 4 mile run. Mike's Mom is in town, so I knew he would have someone with him. Therefore, I agreed to stick with the plan and participate in the race. After the alarm went off, I started to regret the decision. Lauren picked me up at 7am and we headed to downtown Durham. The temperature was a chilly 19 degrees. Yes, you read that correctly 19 degrees. We checked in and hauled back to Lauren's truck near the start line to sit in the heat until closer to start time. By the time we got out of the car, the temps were up to 22. Fantastic.

Running in races is a good time. With all the other runners around you, it makes you really feel part of something. Everyone is laughing, talking and ready to run. It is invigorating to be surrounded by a lot of runners. At least I think they are fun because I am never there to compete. The only competition I have is myself. I'm not taking first prize in anything, so the only person I have to beat is that little voice in my head that tells me to take a break when I am tired. All I want to do is cross the finish line.

The Coach Bubba run was nice. We started at the corner of Blackwell and Parish Streets and wound through downtown a bit before hitting the American Tobacco Trail. Only a short distance onto the AT trail, we were already a full mile into the race. The cool weather actually turned into great running weather. I had just enough layers to stay really comfy through the full 4 miles.

One of the most unflattering pics of me ever - but this is coming into the finish, and I like seeing that there are skinny runner looking girls finishing behind me :-) I do need to start wearing some more flattering running clothes though - my extra large jacket and baggy pants make me look extremely poofy.

I finished the race in 42 minutes, 29 seconds. For me, that's a personal best. That's only about 10:37 per mile. Wow. I am pretty psyched. To some, yeah, it's turtle slow. But to me, it's one hell of an accomplishment. We also didn't use mp3 players, as they were not allowed in this race. I saw a few folks with them, but at only 4 miles, I figured I could go without. And I did! I finished 202nd out of 268 runners. But hey, I did finish in the middle of the pack for my age group!!!!!! And big thanks to Lauren for running with me the whole race. Her support really kept me going!

Unfortunately, I am now having some nagging ankle pain. Since Lauren will be traveling this weekend, and both my running partners and I are experiencing a variety of leg aches, we are taking somewhat of a week off. My legs really need it. I need to soak my ankle a bit and I need to finally bite down and buy some custom shoes. I think that will fix a good chunk of my leg and ankle pain. Then next week it is back to the grind. To think - next Saturday will be a 6 mile run. Holy crap.

No comments: