10.14.2008

Why our health system is flawed

I received an e-mail this morning saying that a claim had been processed under my health insurance policy. Thanks to the handy website my insurance provider has, I was able to go look at the detailed charges, what was paid, and was able to confirm I had nothing else.

The history: I went for a physical a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't had one since I was about 15 (besides the requisite girl doctor visits once a year), and I hadn't had blood work done since I had become a vegetarian. Just to make sure everything was in check, I figured I would go get checked out. Therefore, at the physical, I had blood drawn and had lab work done. Below are the charges for that work:

The service provider charged $132, yet my insurance company only had to pay $6.05???? Yet, I still paid my $25 copay??? WHAT THE HELL? The math is insane. It makes no sense at all. If we can really get away with charging $6.05 for lab work, why don't we just charge $6.05 for labwork so everyone can have it done??????? I am baffled.

No comments: