8.26.2008

"Songs from the Hog Vigil"

A friend at work left this for me on my desk - it was an article cut out of the Neuse River Keepers Summer newsletter. Earlier this summer, there was a 51 hour vigil at the state capitol in response to legislation (or lack thereof) around hog farms. These are the lyrics to one of the vigil's songs. It isn't going to win a Grammy, but it makes some great points!

Song written by Rick Dove. Song should be sung to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm"

Swine producers have big farms
E I E I O
And on those farms they have lagoons
E I E I O
Lagoons over here, lagoons over there
Here's one, there's one
Everywhere you see one
Swine producers have big farms
E I E I O

Swine lagoons they make us sick
E I E I O
That bad odor will get you quick
E I E I O
The bad smells are here, the bad smells are there
Here it stinks, there it stinks
Everywhere you go it stinks
Swine lagoons they make us sick
E I E I O

Swine waste sprayed is poop and pee
E I E I O
It gets sprayed, oh even on me
E I E I O
They spray it in the day, they spray it in the night
In wind and rain, with all their might
Poop and pee is sprayed on me
E I E I O

Swine producers smell only money
E I E I O
To them that money don't smell funny
E I E I O
The poop stinks here, the money's there
We get the poop, they get the loot
Swine producers just smell money
E I E I O

Swine poop it kills lots of fish
E I E I O
Fish that are dying can't be frying
E I E I O
With a dead fish here and a dead fish there
Kill one, another one, from a million to a billion
Swine poop kills lots and lots of fish
E I E I O

Swine men say they love their pigs
E I E I O
Cute little things, lots of money they bring
E I E I O
Locked in a cage, no light or fresh air
Misery, misery everywhere
They suffer, suffer with no one to care
Oh my what those pigs have to bear
E I E I O

No comments: