11.06.2007

One of my favorite days of the year - ELECTION DAY!

I love the first Tuesday in November. Some years it is more exciting than others - like presidential election years. But now that I really feel like Durham is my home, local elections are pretty exciting for me now, too. Mayor Bell is up for re-election, and I feel like we have a special bond ever since Lauren and he danced the night away at the Washington Duke Inn Grand Opening a few years ago (dance the night away being one dance). A co-worker of my has been an instrumental part of the "Farad Ali for City Council" campaign, so there have been stickers and election paraphernalia around the office for a while. I'm also proud to live in a community where both of our mayoral candidates are black. May not seem like a huge deal to some, but how many other communities can claim that?

Mike once told me that he always carries his voter registration card with him because it is really the only document that can prove you are a US citizen. I had never thought about it that way, and it made me more mindful to carry my card with me at all times, too. On election day, I love going to my polling place, filling out my ballot and getting my sticker when I have turned in my ballot. On my visor in my car, I have four "I Voted" stickers pasted just to get me ready for the next election day. Primary or regular election, I'm always there. The right to participate in the selection of our leaders is a privilege too many people take for granted. I am excited by it, rejuvenated by the process, and honored to be able to make my decision heard. It's only one vote, but if no one went, there would be no general voice. Make your voice heard on election day. You get a sticker!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is what sucks about Oregon. No polling place. No sticker. No excitement. You just drop your ballot in the mail before election day. Efficient? Yes. Exciting? No.

-Marissa