10.18.2007

Finally approved??

I am not going to jinx myself by posting it here just yet, but as far as I know, my proposal will go to committee early next week and will be approved. Finally. Yay. There has been a lot of back and forth about the exact wording in the proposal, and I am happy to report that it was cleared up today. It hardly even looks like what I posted on here originally!

As for the comments on my original posting about my proposal, I am excited people are reading the blog, but I must admit the idiocracy of internet blog commenting is sometimes hard for me to deal with. I know that not everyone cares about animals and that many people even believe that we have full and complete dominion over animals, so it is okay to do whatever we want with them. My project is not attacking those lines of thought at all. It is merely presenting a question for people in MY situation who have given up meat for personal ethical means around a consideration for animals yet have still not resolved if this is the best way to look at the argument.

Our country is facing serious issues around environment and health that go along with the "go eat a cheeseburger" comment that was posted TWICE on my first post about the proposal. At some time, we are all going to have to confront our eating habits in this country. We are moving at an unsustainable pace in our quest for limitless options of foods that are cheap and unhealthy. Some of you may think my paper is stupid now, but at some point in time, I bet you will be confronted with your own issues around food - whether it be moral, health or environmental.

Now on a less serious note, I haven't been vegetarian forever. You think that I don't know meat can taste good? Of course I know that. But sometimes we make decisions on what is good or right for us rather than because it's just what we "like."

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Do you not find it odd that people actually CARE that you don't eat meat? I mean, how is it anyone's business and why does anyone get their knickers in a twist over it. I would have to assume that it comes from a great deal of misinformation and ignorance. I'm not even a vegetarian anymore but that "We love vegetarians. They leave more meat for us." billboard is going to send me over the edge one of these days. :)