10.25.2007

Californication

My ex was from California – and I often heard stories from him, some of them quite appalling – about other people’s views of Californians. I, myself, had never been around people prejudiced towards those from the West Coast, but it sounds like he came across plenty of them. Oddly enough, the worst insults seemed to come from church folk.

So, when I read this story on CNN this morning, I had to laugh - laugh at the people who said such terrible things about Californians anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/evac.qualcomm.scene/index.html

The fires in Southern California are absolutely devastating. Not just towards the rich, or even just the poor – the wildfires do not discriminate based on socioeconomic status. Lives have been changed forever. Homes and memories gone. Pets lost. The tragedy is terribly sad.

But after reading this story, it has to make you feel somewhat good that everyone is there to help each other. I remarked to Mike last night that the disaster management in this case has been phenomenal. Yes, people are definitely uncomfortable, but they are being well taken care of, fed, given medical treatment and kept up to date on exactly what is going on. At the stadium, they actually have to turn away volunteers. This is the antithesis of Katrina and Rita. Going forward, those who put together disaster management plans in CA should be called on to help put together better plans for the coastal USA.

Anyway, my whole point of this blog is that even though some people may think Californians are hedonistic, immoral and selfish, I beg to differ. The proof is in exactly what’s happening right now at Qualcomm Stadium. So, to that preacher in Indiana (Nathaniel knows what I’m talking about), take that!!!!!

No comments: