9.04.2007

CHICAGO


CHICAGO - On a beautiful summer afternoon.......


Chicago was fantastic - I am going to give you the uber-brief rundown of the events of the trip. If you want details, ask.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, and after dealing with a minor work crisis, the games began! Mike checked into the conference, and I got settled into the hotel. We attended a welcome reception for grad students at APSA, then Mike and I headed off to Second City for an improv show. Really great show, really crappy waitress.

The view from our room on the 11th Floor of the Sheraton


Next day, Mike was off to the conference, so I started off on my wandering. I started the day with the much recommended Chicago Architecture Foundation River Tour. Priced at $26, the cost may seem prohibitive, but it is well worth it. I took a ton of pictures that came out like postcards. I am not the best photographer in the world, but with the absolutely gorgeous weather we had, as well as the excellent views of the city from the River, the pics were priceless. I have a ton of these if you want to see 'em - just let me know in comments, and I will send you the link to the full album.

One of the many pics I have of the Sears Tower from the River Cruise

After the tour, I did some serious shopping. I hit H&M as well as the Nordstrom Rack. I did a bit of shopping damage - like buying a pair of Juicy Couture jeans - what was I thinking? I don't know! Okay, so I was thinking "IT'S VACATION!" Anyway, after the shopping, I met my friend Laura at a great place called Rivers after she got off work. We had a few drinks and a great time chatting and catching up. Yay for seeing friends!!!

Laura and I

That evening, Mike and I had dinner with Meredith, Stefan and Dave at a great vegetarian/vegan restaurant called the Green Zebra. It was pricey, but the food was absolutely amazing. The place has been ranked one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the country. It is easy to see why. Even the two meat eaters in the group chose all veggie dishes (they normally have 1-2 non veggie dishes on the menu), and they were very happy with their meal. Bon appetit indeed.

Tammy and I at WICKED

Afterwards, we attended the Duke University reception at the conference. When we left that at about midnight, a few of us jumped in a cab and headed out to the Wicker Park area. Stefan found a place on line called "Plan B," so we tried that out. Turns out it was a good enough place, so we stayed there til 2am.

Stefan, Ann, me, Mike and Brendan at "Plan B"

When that closed down, we inquired about what was still open - and there was a place right down the street called The Tavern that stayed open til 4am. Thanks to Brendan asking a door guy if we could go in the back, we avoided a very long line and went right in. The five of us stayed there til almost 4, just drinking and talking. A great Chicago evening.

Saturday was a great one - Mike was off to the conference again in the morning, but I had big plans that day myself! I met Tammy that afternoon, and the two of us went to see Wicked. It was absolutely amazing. Fantastic. Perfect. Touching. I LOVED it. Afterwards, she, Efren, Mike and I headed off to Gino's East for some real Chicago Deep Dish. We waited in line for almost an hour to even get in, then it took about an hour for the pizza - but it was well worth the wait. We were so very full - and it was so very late by that point, we headed back to the hotel and went to sleep. Unfortunately, we missed what I am sure was a lovely reception at Jill's house, but with Mike presenting the next day, we had to pass. Next time, Jill and Carlos - we promise!!!!

Deep Dish Spinach Pizza from Gino's East

Sunday, Mike presented his paper on his panel, and he came back up to the room after 12ish. We did a bit of wandering, grabbed some lunch, then headed home. I loved wandering around Chicago. If the weather stayed like it was this past weekend, all year around - I wouldn't hesitate making the move. But that brutal winter that last months is just too much for me. I will visit any other time though! Yay for Chi-town!!
Mike and I taking a requisite "Bean" picture!

The Bean

And that folks, was Chicago......


No comments: