5.22.2007

New workout

For a few years I have been running off and on. I never stick with it long enough to acheive many major milestones, but when I actually stick with the program, I can easily get my self to run a 5K. That has only been few and far between though. Mostly, I get comfortable running two miles and just stick with that. But, after all these years, I am getting bored with running. I never ran because I liked it - I ran because of the results it gave me. Sure, there are occasional times when I actually do feel like running, but that is super rare.

I started looking for a new way to get some cardio and overall fitness. I tried the elliptical machines, but I get so bored so fast. If there is some really good music on, I can get through it okay, but I despise the activity so much I completely avoid the gym. I tried walking on the treadmill, but it seems silly to walk on a machine when you could walk outside. I like using a stationary bike, but if I am going to be spending time in the gym, I would prefer more of an all body workout rather than just below the waist.

Since it is now summertime on the Duke campus, that also means the gym is now much quieter than it normally is through the academic year. There are less size zero 19 year olds wandering around, and I feel a bit more comfortable trying new things. So, the other day, I decided to try out the rowing machine.

I loved it!

I think I found my new cardio for a while. I just registered on www.concept2.com to keep track of the meters rowed, weight goals, etc. I figured I can write down what I do each time and see what kind of progress I am making. The workout is fantastic once you figure out the correct body positioning. You get an upper body workout, an ab workout and a great leg/butt workout too. I've only used the machine twice now, but I am actually looking forward to going to the gym after work today to play on the rowing machine! That in itself says something. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: